While doing Whole30, my husband and I found a recipe for chicken sweet potato poppers. They were sooooo yummy, however, they were a tad bit fussier than I wanted to make often, plus ground chicken can be pricey. Therefore, I started to make some changes and ended up with the recipe below. The inspiration is linked above if you are interested.
Previously, I have tried the following and found it not to make a difference. So save yourself the time and don’t bother.
- Coconut oil on the tin foil, just not necessary.
- Removing the extra water from the shredded sweet potato, messy and not worth it.
- Switching the coconut flour with almond flour…doesn’t taste as good.
This recipe is Paleo and Whole30 compliant, just make sure to double check your labels and the Whole30 website to ensure compliance.
Give this recipe a try and let me know how it goes in the comments below.
Makes about 42 meatballs
4 cups shredded raw sweet potato (I recommend using a food processor)
2 pounds ground turkey
4 tablespoons coconut flour
¼ cup melted coconut oil
5-6 sprigs green onion chopped (scissors can make this easier)
1 tablespoon onion powder
1/2 tablespoon garlic salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine all ingredients well. I like to use my stand mixer and add in the melted coconut oil while everything else is mixing together.
- Use a cookie scoop to form the meatballs and place on tin foil covered baking sheet.
- Bake for 28-32 minutes. Enjoy!